Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Graduation May 2006!

I just took my last final for the fall semester and I’m looking forward to the spring semester. The spring semester will be my last semester in college. It will not come easily however. I have signed up for 21 hours because I’m at a point in my life when I need to end the pain. I have been in college classes since the Fall of 1999. I had hoped that I could pay my way through the entire time, but I will have some loan obligations once I’m done. Let me make some suggestions to those of you who have kids or are graduating high school concerning college.

I have mixed feelings about college. Today, I had to go into one of the dorms to submit a form I need to graduate. I noticed all the students that were hanging out and having a great time. I realize that I might have enjoyed being a traditional college student. I think I gave up a lot by not taking that approach.

There are only two ways that college should be done. If you are just out of high school or have kids preparing for college, then consider something very important. COLLEGE IS EXPENSIVE! If you don’t know what you want to do in life and most people don’t then I would suggest waiting a year and working a variety of jobs that peak your interest. Once you have decided to go then fully commit. If you can become a full time student then do it while you are young. I know you will go into debt, but you will get out about 2 – 3 years sooner and can hopefully find a job that will put you in a spot to pay that back. If you think you can pay your way through college as to not acquire debt then you are delusional. Did I mention college is ridiculously expensive? There is one exception to this rule however. That exception applies to those who are already making good money. I have a couple successful friends who can pay their ways through college and it will take them a year or two longer, but they make good money already so this is fine. Most people don’t have this situation. Gitterdun and get out!

The worst thing about college is it is expensive and we don’t all have our calling in life at 18. I’m also sad to say that I don’t feel a college degree bears as much weight as it used to. Am I the only one that feels this way? College is about character and learning more about the world God has put you in. I do recommend college to everyone, but lack the ideas I had 5 years ago. Go to college to improve yourself, not your financial situation. Education is more than monetary enhancement; it’s about polishing your character.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mr. President said...

Even for us successful guys college is ridiculously expensive!!!! I feel your pain.

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

College, hummm, I might give it a try sometime soon. Maybe an online degree or something could be cool.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Shaheen Matuni said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home