Saturday, March 04, 2006

Reminiscing...

I’ve been talking to quite a few old friends in the past couple of weeks thanks to resources like facebook.com and myspace.com. I have to say that life has passed by in a blink. It’s funny how you pick up with old friends right where you left off. It doesn’t seem to matter that 7 years has passed by! Seven years is a lot of life to just skip over. It got me thinking because one of the friends I was talking to the other day was telling me he had been through a lot more than he had told me in the brief time we talked. I got to thinking, oh yeah, seven years!!

I think we all have been through some things in the past 7 years. Anyways, I started remembering the good ol high school days and reflecting on what had occurred since then. It’s not uncommon to find people I knew quite intimately 7 years ago to have gotten married and have a few kids. Imagine that. Wow. How come time went so slow from 0 – 18 years of life but I just blinked over the past 7 years. There are still a few old friends that I wish I knew where they were. I google them, but to my surprise and the surprise is genuine, I find nothing resulted. How can they avoid the google gods?? Granted, most people don’t have a unique name such as mine, so you have several pages to click through to try and result in something. I joined some random sound forum last night to get a look at someone’s profile that was posting and maybe determine if this person was an old friend or not. Technology is making this world smaller, but I guess it hasn’t made it small enough.

Speaking of picking up with friends where you left off. I find this a good practice to have. Not only does it increases your memory capabilities because you have to think about the person and what is going on with them, but you seem like a better friend because you can follow up next time you meet. It makes it seem like you were thinking about them…imagine that. I’m pretty good about this. I can usually remember the last thing I did with someone and what they were going through so I know exactly what to say, but back in reference to old, old friends this practice becomes a joke. I mean, can you really pick up with someone where you left off after 7 years has passed. “So how is your mom doing? Is she still in the hospital?” Imagine that reponse. Or how about “Did you get accepted to A&M?” hahahaha…it just doesn’t seem to fit. You normally can do one of 2 things. You can re-evaluate this person and by that I mean get to know this person all over because you could be dealing with a new person if the last time you talked to them was when you were 18. The years of 18 – 25 unfold the character you are likely to assume the rest of your life and that can be quite different than who you were. I know in the past 2 years even I have changed quite a bit. The second thing you can do is to just talk about the past and refuse to evaluate the present and leave it for what it is. If you want to maintain the relationship then I suggest you reintroduce yourself and deal with the past only after a new relationship has developed or when you feel like a new one will not develop. That is by no means a black/white guide to reestablishing new relationships with old friends. That has just been an observation of mine.

God gave me an amazing memory and because of that I spend a lot of time in thought. I like to think about how I could have changed things or maybe I analyze something that had occurred and put new variables in it, like what so and so was doing while this occurred. I find that kind of fun. You should try it. I mean the sun doesn’t wait to rise when you wake up. So whether 24 hours has passed or 7 years, it is highly possible to witness other people’s lives other than your own.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, you're all over the place. Mrs. Rob would not be pleased!

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its a blog, thoughts can be scattered!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Mr. President said...

I think that Sheen should pay the royalties to Macaroni Grill for having their restaurant in the picture. See danny I too used to be all over the place, until I got quality training from "The Architect" in my writing. Or was it in High School. So Danny and Shig how is it going. When are we going to have a party at Phil's

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Big grains of salt!"

11:34 AM  
Blogger Mr. President said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Mr. President said...

The purpose of the blog... is not to discuss the blog. Rather to discuss life with friends!

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Danny, what part of "blog" connotates organization??

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blog originates from the two words "web log". It is a log that you write, that is posted on the web. So then, what is a log? A log is a record of events. These events can be things that you observe in your daily life, or just about anything you want, but a record should be kept in order, else it is meaningless I tell you, meaningless. What good would an historic record be if it were not kept in order? You wouldn't know what happened when and you would have no reference. All you would have is a series of things that happened, but you don't know when.

That's like your post. It was a bunch of sentences put together, but there was no flow or structure.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Mr. President said...

I believe that Danny is right on this one. Just think that if there was no order in our historic record we would still believe that it is President Bush that gave us bad intelligence about WMD's in Iraq not previous administrations.

DW

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say again..."What part of blog connotates organization?" That was a nice definition that you gave us Danny. I did not know that blog came from web log. That was good info. However, connotation, corectly written co notation, has nothing to do with actual meaning if you would remember from English class. However, it deals with perceived meaning. So as you have dug deep to make a nice all inclusive definition that we can all understand you have failed to change what blog truly means to most Americans. Most importantly, you have failed to change that meaning for me. Thank you however, for that post. This reminds me of when our great friend and ally, Dwight K. Shrute, misspelled the word "failure" in front of the whole school to lose the spelling bee. Good job. :)

6:25 AM  
Blogger Mr. President said...

Danny, just remember Shaheen is a democrat.... He believes certain things that didn't really happen to make his point of view right....

Welcome to the Platform of the Democratic Party..

No Ideas,
Just Complaints

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. President gets his title cause he is in fact the president of the ACLU.

-DW

2:52 PM  
Blogger Mr. President said...

NO SIR!!! You messed up the initials. It is President of UCLA!

What a noob..

DW

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shaheen-
You are a DEMOCRAT? REALLY? Don't read my rant about Democrats then, it ain't pretty!!! LOL

-Mark

8:47 PM  
Blogger Mr. President said...

Mark,

I really liked your rant about the Democrats... IT Was GREAT!!!

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home